We all know that online learning has a lot of advantages. It’s for the gifted learner, the learner that works on a slower pace, it’s for the introvert, it’s for broadening our horizons and opening more doors for future learning abroad. It’s also for keeping our families safe in the pandemic, for saving money and in the same breath, it’s convenient. Online learning caters for so many different people.
However, online learning can have its challenges if we do not create a healthy environment at home for learning
Here are some guidelines for parents to assist their children to create healthy habits for effective and meaningful learning:
- Enough sleep: 6-8 hours are recommended; this plays an important role for the brain of the child to function optimally.
- Healthy eating habits: The brain cells need to be nourished as well as the body. If the children snacks, make sure they eat healthy nibbles to keep their blood sugar levels stable.
- Drink plenty of water: Stay hydrated, make sure the child drinks enough water as this will keep their energy levels up.
- Exercise: Stretch and go for walks, this is good for their muscles, especially when they are sitting for long periods. Stretching the muscles also reduce stress, relieves tension, and helps them to focus better on their work.
- Regular Breaks: They need to break the study material up into manageable sections and have regular breaks. This will help a child to concentrate better and recall work that has been studied. It’s advisable for them not to look at a screen for longer than 45 min because it strains their eyes.
- Have Fun: Make sure the child has a balanced lifestyle to keep the mind and body healthy. This is the essence of true happiness. If he/she does not have fun, something is done wrong, make sure the child takes time off to do something that brings happiness and that it is not school related.
- Connect with teachers and peers: the child needs to make time for social interactions with peers as well as teachers. We all need to connect on an emotional or social level.
- Create a routine: Make sure the child has a daily and weekly schedule that works for him/her and to which he/she needs to try to stick to. This will help not to get distracted or fall behind with the studies but to have an effective and productive day.
- Have a well-planned study space: This space needs to be in a quiet area in the house where there are no distractions.The space needs to be well-organized with more than enough stationary.
Try these tips for a successful online school year. Malcom X said: “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today”
Make sure your passport is ready, venture into new learning opportunities for a successful future career.
Lucid Content. 7 Healthy habits every distance learning student should make time for. [online]. Available at: https://www.oxbridgeacademy.edu.za-7 healthy habits every distance learning student should make time fors [Accessed 02 Augustus 2021].
Lucid Content. 5 Healthy habits for distance learning. [online]. Available at: https://www.matwentysomething.com [Accessed 02 Augustus 2021].